Responsible for the design, implementation, maintenance and evaluation of identified environmental, health and safety (EHS) programs including the complex analysis of data resulting from these programs. Analyzes and evaluates data from EHS programs managing hazards in the work environment. Manages and oversees existing EHS management programs to reduce risk in the work environment. Recommends and designs new EHS programs relative to risk management and hazard abatement. Develops action plans to control health risks and hazards to all employees in the workforce. Creates, modifies and submits revisions to EHS manuals and procedures as appropriate.
The incumbent provides technical guidance and direction to other employees in support of producing high quality, timely and cost-effective solutions to ensure compliance with applicable Federal, State and local regulations. This position requires partnering with groups, such as but not limited to those involved in training and performance assessment to identify learning and development gaps, identify solutions and to foster development of all employees relative to EHS issues. The incumbent works as an individual contributor with substantial latitude for unreviewed action or decisions and may lead functional teams or projects. The incumbent works with minimal supervision.
1. A minimum of 10 years’ experience in industrial related work experience in environmental management, industrial hygiene or safety. A Master's degree in Safety Engineering, Environmental Management, Occupational Safety and Health, Industrial Hygiene, or other equivalent technical field may be substituted for up to 3 years’ experience.
2. Successful completion of a board safety certification such as Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) or Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM).
3. Strong ability to communicate with, mentor and influence all levels of an organization.
4. Demonstrated ability to work independently with proven decision-making and problem-solving skills.
5. Strong project management skills and the ability to execute large-scale initiatives in a complex, matrixed environment.
6. A strong customer service orientation and collaborative work style is critical. Team oriented and self-motivated.
7. Superior oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to design and deliver reports.
8. Superior facilitation and presentation skills.
9. Clean driving record
10. Up to 75% travel required (must live or relocate to a company area and near major airport)
1. Serves as a technical “expert” and provides technical support to internal and external stakeholders’ regarding compliance with EHS regulations.
2. Supports programs to enhance the public image of corporate EHS performance through education activities and other actions that encourage responsible behavior.
3. Organizes and conducts EHS studies.
4. Performs trending analysis to improve EHS performance by gathering data, developing reports, identifying gaps, evaluating risk and implementing process improvements and/or corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence.
5. Evaluates, designs and conducts training and materials in support of EHS initiatives.
6. Coaches and mentors all levels of personnel on critical skills, behaviors and techniques that build and sustain a zero injury/illness culture.
7. Provides governance and quality oversight of EHS programs.
8. Recommends changes in procedures, processes, design or equipment.
9. Keeps abreast of federal, state and local EHS regulations; reviews technical literature.
10. Conducts comprehensive audits of company sites for compliance to EHS programs.
11. Participates in industrial conferences and benchmarks top performing organizations for program improvements.
12. Supports the development and maintenance of EHS management information systems (MIS).
13. Provides project management services, including project coordination, contract administration, material tracking, scheduling and cost monitoring on projects, and review with management.