We are currently seeking an Overhead Groundperson to join our Utility Lines Construction Services, Inc. team in the Overhead Maintenance and Construction Department.
We offer excellent opportunities for career oriented individuals that want to be a part of our team. Our goal is to provide a safe work environment for all of our employees to perform quality work with our many clients. ULCS employees share in Productivity and Safety Incentive programs, as well as an excellent compensation package that includes a competitive benefits package, paid holidays, and paid vacation. Flame Retardant clothing is provided for all employees at no cost to them. Various work locations do offer employee payroll deduct programs for work boots and tools for the job.
Our company performs work within the South Eastern Region of the United Stated. Many projects have immediate openings. Our home office has a location in Indian Trail, North Carolina, and Chattanooga, Tennessee. We offer year round employment with a company that values the team approach toward building quality projects. If you are looking for your next career advancement and are a goal oriented person that wants to work for a company that values safety and appreciates good employees, please apply today.
- Comply with all safety and health rules.
- Only performing work or operating vehicle/equipment where training and qualification has been provided.
- Demonstrate safe work behavior
- Stop work whenever unsafe acts or conditions are present.
- Reports all injuries no matter how minor to the Foreperson Immediately.
- Report all incidents and near misses to Foreperson.
- Safely complete the job while performing new construction, maintenance or repair work of energized and de-energized overhead line work.
- Ability to problem solve with unidentified circumstances on any particular job.
- Any other duties related to the installation of overhead power supply.
- Ensure daily testing and inspection of assigned tools and equipment.
- Wear approved Fire Retardant clothing.
- Maintain company equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Performs all work from the ground.
- Employee will be exposed to hot and cold environments, poisonous plants or reptiles, and stinging insects.
- Working hours is typically a 10 hour day.
- Clears work area and maintains safe jobsite conditions.
- Excavates to assist in the installation of structures or cable as required by contract specification.
- Will have contact with public and private property owners to communicate work to be performed.
- Participates in company training of all regional safety guidelines and is required to perform all work by the regional safety policies.
- Assembles material on the ground to be installed by the lineperson or apprentice.
- Exposed to traffic and may be required to have training on traffic flagging
- Operates various tools for the work (manual digging devices, wrenches, hammers, come-alongs, jack hammer and hand-line etc.).
- Works around hazardous equipment.
- Works near energized parts or equipment.
- Works around excessive noise from machines, jackhammers, chain saws and other equipment with proper hearing protection.
- All other duties as required or requested by Supervisors.
- Due to the inherently dangerous nature of the industry and the requirements to work with or around hazardous equipment, employees must be able to maintain attention and concentration for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to wear necessary PPE as required by company policy
- Must be able to enter and exit a vehicle numerous times a day.
- Must be able to withstand exposure to all kinds of weather while completing work assignments, i.e., rain, heat, sun, cold
- Must be able to traverse various terrains.
- Must be able to communicate with others.
- Must be able to maintain attention during dangerous tasks.
- Must be able to lift, move and maneuver up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis, and up to 10 pounds on a continuous basis.
- Must have sufficient eyesight to judge distances and coordination to get and use the appropriate equipment and tools.
- Must have transportation to and from the show up location.
- Must be able to safely enter and exit the rear-end of the bucket and derrick trucks
- Must be able to follow directions, work safely & productively
- Must have endurance necessary to perform these duties throughout a standard eight (8) or ten (10) hour day according to the schedule.
- Must be able to work long hours and overtime during holidays, emergencies, weekends, etc.
- Must have a valid Driver’s license.
- Current CDL preferred or willingness to receive valid CDL within 90 days of employment.
- Must be willing to travel out of state for emergency storm work.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
Rarely = less than 10%
Occasionally = up to 33%
Frequently = up to 66%
Continuously = 67% to 100%
Range of Motion
Hearing – Speech Range
Sense of Touch
Climbing On/Off Truck
Lifting Up to 10 lbs.
Lifting Over 10 lbs. to 50 lbs.
Lifting Up to 50 lbs.
Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation. Individuals with a disability who desire a reasonable accommodation should contact the ADA Coordinator at 1-800-248-8733, ext. 1339.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and vets