Headquartered in Plano, Texas, asTech® focuses on providing OEM diagnostics to collision repair shops nationwide. Our service enables shops who may not have expert level electronics technicians to work on any vehicle, no matter how complex, and receive advice from a master technician. Our patented asTech® remote diagnostic device is the leading tool for automotive repair shops that want to perform more efficient work and guarantee better results for customers. With the help of our staff of certified master technicians and Automotive Technicians, identifying all of the issues that need repair on any vehicle is easier than ever.
Primary Purpose of the Position
This is an entry level role. Once training is complete, the successful technician will provide full diagnostic services as part of the consulting function to assigned locations. Diagnose and recommend repairs for vehicles involved in collisions. Complete basic repairs for vehicles involved in collisions. Your ability to effectively use OEM (original equipment manufacturer) web-based information, Identifix and web resources for automotive diagnostics and repair information is critical to this role.
- Serve as primary client contact within the assigned geographic area
- Responsible for driving a company provided vehicle to various locations within the assigned geographic area
- Responsible for test driving and/or moving customer vehicles at shop locations
- Gather required information for a complete vehicle profile
- Ensure safe and appropriate recommendations by understanding basic damage levels (for example, if the vehicle is safe to drive or work on)
- Utilize basic understanding of the structure and practices of various types of repair facilities, body shops, insurance carriers to facilitate effective working relationships
- Utilize various tools and diagnostic equipment to make the most effective recommendations and repairs on multiple makes and models
- Complete basic physical repairs to damaged vehicles, including but not limited to, R&I Driver’s airbag, basic interior trim (glovebox), checking fuses
- Ensure compliance utilizing basic knowledge of applicable laws
- Complete remote pre, post and diagnostic scans and assist in identification of faults, error messages, module corrections, etc.
- Support the implementation of varied diagnostic tests
- Quickly learn and evaluate information and data and provide a comprehensive interpretation of technical information
- Adequately explain technical diagnoses and needed repairs to non-mechanical individuals which may include employees, clients and insurance customers on a daily and consistent basis
- Continuously learn new technical information and techniques in e-learning or other training sessions in an effort to stay well-informed with rapidly changing automotive technology
- Assist fellow technicians in performing technical evaluations as needed
- Keep team management aware of mechanical repair problems as they occur
- Adhere to all company and shop policy, procedure, safety and environmental rules
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to obtain company designated certifications within a defined timeframe: ASE, I-Car, MECP
- Self-motivated, high energy and a client-focused perspective
- Ability to learn automotive industry and various manufacturer acronyms and lingo
- Proficient in customer reporting
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Current, valid driver’s license and satisfactory Motor Vehicle Report (MVR)
- New car dealership or aftermarket repair facility experience is considered a plus
- Technical or vocational school graduate is a plus
Work Environment: This job operates in various automotive repair shop environments that may be cold, hot, noisy, and wet and may have fumes or odors due to vehicle maintenance. This position is responsible for driving a company provided vehicle to various locations within their assigned geographic area.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds independently; majority of lifting from knee to shoulder heights; other lifting required from various levels.
- Must be able to carry and transport up to 60 pounds up to 20 feet.
- Requires standing for extended period of time with frequent stretching, reaching, walking and stooping, pushing and/or pulling in an environment that may be cold, hot, noisy, and wet and may have fumes or odors due to vehicle maintenance.
- Requires excellent visual acuity and manual dexterity.
- Requires use of safety equipment that may include but not limited to face shield or goggles, non-slip shoes, gloves, mask, and other protective garments and equipment.
- Requires frequent driving and some typing. Required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles.
Travel: Extensive travel within the assigned geographic area is expected.
Reports to: Market Area Manager