Penco Products is America's largest producer of storage products and material handling solutions.
Sr. Manufacturing Engineer
SUMMARY: Responsible for the design and operation of production systems, including networks, tools and machinery. Will also produce specifications for, design, develop, manufacture and install new or modified mechanical components or systems, as well as evaluate, recommend and implement alternative production methodologies to enhance efficiencies and drive innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, directs, and coordinates manufacturing processes in the plant. Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of product design, materials and parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, and quality control standards. Challenges all aspects of the way Penco manufactures and develops team driven manufacturability improvements that increase our quality and reduce process cycle time.
- Analyzes and plans work force utilization, space requirements, and workflow, and designs layout of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency.
- Develop and improve manufacturing methods, assembly methods, and quality control standards in an effort to improve productivity and reduce cost structure.
- Lead teams of hourly and salaried personnel in Lean / Kaizen projects in the areas of workstation layout, productivity, safety and quality.
- Implement and train employees on new job methods.
- Design and maintain operator aid visuals.
- Apply statistical methods and perform mathematical calculations to determine manufacturing processes, staff requirements, and production standards.
- Coordinate quality control objectives and activities to resolve production problems, maximize product reliability, and minimize cost.
- Review production schedules, engineering specifications, orders, and related information to obtain knowledge of manufacturing methods, procedures, and activities.
- Study operations sequence, material flow, functional statements, organization charts, and project information to determine worker functions and responsibilities.
- Develop manufacturing methods, labor utilization standards, and cost analysis systems to promote efficient staff and facility utilization.
- Recommend methods for improving utilization of personnel, material, and utilities.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 5 to 10+ years of experience, preferably within a manufacturing environment.
- Past work experience as a manufacturing engineer is beneficial.
- Strong working knowledge and application of time and motion methodology and techniques in a manufacturing environment.
- An understanding of lean principles and systems thinking is needed to effectively lead the projects and process improvement initiatives.
- Project management skills and be comfortable at providing briefings at all levels of management and key customer contacts.
- Highly motivated, organized and flexible.
- Customer and results focused.
- Skilled in the use of Solidworks cad software.
- Must be able to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to airborne particles and heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.