REPORTS TO: Superintendent
POSITION TYPE: Non-exempt
Based in Durham, NC with job sites within a 60 mile radius.
To construct, erect, install, and repair structures and/or fixtures of wood by performing the following duties:
- Must be willing to travel if required. Must provide basic carpentry hand tools.
- Studies blueprints, sketches, or building plans for information pertaining to type of material required and dimensions of structure or fixture to be fabricated.
- Selects specified type of lumber or other materials.
- Prepares layout. Marks cutting and assembly lines on materials. Shapes materials to prescribed measurements.
- Assembles cut and shaped materials and fastens them together with nails, dowel pins, or glue.
- Constructs forms and chutes for placing concrete.
- May erect, climb and work on scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground level at heights up to 100 feet or below ground level at depths down to 50 feet. Use body harness or other fall protection when required.
- May be required to use the following tools/equipment: Carpenter's hand tools, small/medium/large power tools, bench tools (saw, drill, and grinder), concrete saw, chipper, sander, paving breaker, and jackhammer.
- When not performing the above mentioned essential duties and responsibilities, may assist in other operations as designated by supervisor.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Competent in basic algebra and geometry
- Skilled in basic math, algebra, geometry, volumes and weights.
- Able to read safety rules, instructions in the use and maintenance of shop tools and equipment. Effectively communicate verbally with co-workers.
- Effectively manage one's time and deal with problems that arise.
- Effectively work with other employees in a positive manner.
- Willingness and ability to gain knowledge of and consistently practice basic OSHA regulations.
- Able to attend to job duties on a consistent, timely basis.
- Wear proper clothes - Boots, gloves, hardhat, long pants, sleeved shirts (shorts, tank tops and tennis shoes not permitted per OSHA regulations).
- Come to work on a regular basis. Reliable transportation is important
- Call your jobsite if you cannot get to work for any reason.
- Pass drug screen.
- Work cooperatively with other employees.
- Move objects between 20-50 pounds.
- Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
- Understand and carry out oral instructions in the English language.
- Manipulate tools in areas of limited space.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma, GED, or as approved by Production Manager or Manager of Manpower.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the field
- Work is often performed outside under any type of weather conditions. Exposure to varying degrees/amounts of heat, cold, dust, dampness, ice, precipitation and mud.
- Individual must be capable of lifting to meet the physical demands of our industry. Activity includes significant walking, standing, pushing, or pulling for significant lengths of time.